Monday, October 17, 2016





            My past mentality was that work had to be hard in order for me to get ahead. I admit, I don’t like hard work. In college I had visions of myself working 12 hour behind a desk, and living with high levels of stress. That’s why I didn’t want to graduate. Whenever I played “I Love College” by Asher Roth on my iPod I would switch songs towards the end so I wouldn’t have to hear the last line: “Do I really have to graduate? Or can I just stay here for the rest of my life?” The good news is: I was wrong. Work doesn’t have to be hard. Work can be fun.



            The first step in making work “fun” is to start with something you believe you can achieve. My fastest time for the mile is 8 minutes. If my goal was to beat Usain Bolt in a race, then I wouldn’t have fun trying to reach my goal. Which is why I wouldn’t set that goal in the first place. 



            They say the hardest part is getting started. Before I start working, I get my mind into a Positive State so it won’t be difficult getting started. I’ll go on Youtube and watch Selena Gomez’s “Naturally” or an Abraham Hicks video to help me get in a Positive State.



            I watch Abraham Hicks videos on Youtube every day. Esther Hicks is the amazing woman behind Abraham. She says people feel anxious because we’re looking for results, for evidence that we’re on the right path. We complete the action, whether it’s looking for new clients, laying the foundation for a construction project, going to the gym, or joining Meetup.com, so that we can achieve results, whether it’s financial gains, a healthier body, or building relationships. Abraham Hicks advises us to trust the process.



            If looking for evidence causes us anxiety, then it’s better not to think about it. Abraham Hicks says that action is recommended. Let’s say our goal was to remodel the basement. And all of a sudden, the project gets completed (with no action). We most likely wouldn’t be as satisfied. It would have been too easy. The finished basement wouldn’t be as pleasing to us because we didn’t work on it. Imagine how Leonardo Da Vinci would feel if the “Mona Lisa” was completed in one second? I’m not sure if he would appreciate it as much.



            I’ve learned, from listening to Abraham Hicks, that work can be fun once we’re in the right mindset. When we’re absolutely sure about something, then we won’t worry about it. In the past I’ve worried about a lot of things. But I never worried that my name wasn’t Yanna. This principle can be applied to anything. The important piece is to get to the point of knowing with absolute certainty. It took a while for me to understand this, and to apply it in my life. For most of my life I did the opposite of what Abraham Hicks was telling me. I worked, hoping for results, and felt discouraged when nothing changed. In my last post I wrote: be happy first, then everything you want will come to you.


            But what if things don’t go our way? In college I worked in retail. We had to fold the clothes a certain way, and we had to make sure the hangers were facing the “right” direction. We had a set amount of time to complete our tasks. The work environment was fun, but it took longer than average for me to fold clothes. As a result my shifts were reduced; they’d have me work one day a week. So I actually went home and practiced folding with a piece of cardboard. My manger complimented me on my improvement… but I wasn’t asked back to work during winter break. I was crushed.



            If this happened recently, I would feel differently. After I found out I wasn’t getting rehired, I wouldn’t think about my job. I know that thinking about my job would make me upset. I also wouldn’t go the opposite direction and think “I’ll get re-hired next summer with a pay raise!” I would feel inner resistance with that thought.



            Instead I would picture myself standing on a beach watching ocean waves fall and rise. It would be an easier thought to think than “I’ll get re-hired next summer with a pay raise!” Oceans are abundant and calm. That would be the vibration I want with getting a job. It’s about feeling good, feeling worthy, relaxing, and trusting the process.    



            It took me years to understand this. For much of my life I had been either living in darkness, or light fog. Now I appreciate sunsets and the feeling of being alive. I’m thankful for what I have. I went to a super fun gathering recently, where I caught up with my friend, ate cupcakes, and met new people. We were in a park at sunset; the changing colors met the trees at a gorgeous angle. That was what I wanted in high school: friendships, fun conversations, and a sense of belonging. I’m happy most people didn’t go through what I experienced in school, and I’m grateful for every conversation I have. That overbearing feeling of anxiety is no longer present.  


            When we look for results it can cause anxiety. In college my anxiety was less noxious, but I still experienced it, especially during finals week! I’d rather work calmly than in a state of anxiety. To make work fun, trust the process. Know what you want is coming to you. Find thoughts to fit the vibration of fun and ease, whatever it may be. Flow is the optimal state for work, where work doesn’t seem like work. There’s a book titled “Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience” by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi that demonstrates “the ways this positive state can be controlled, not just left to chance.”



            I’m grateful for everything in my life. I wouldn’t take any of the trauma I experienced back, nor would I relive it. Everything happened to me for a reasons. My book (links below) details my journey from severely depressed to consistently happy.      



No comments:

Post a Comment